Saturday, April 3, 2010

Nowruz (Persian New Year)

Scott's roommate, Amir, is from Iran and they celebrated the new year a few weekends ago, March 20. They have their party according to the vernal equinox so it's at the same time all over the world. This year it was at 10:30am PST but next year it will be at 4:30pm PST, the next 10:30pm PST, and the next 4:30am PST. I really like celebrating it all at the same time but I'm not sure how I feel about a 4:30AM party. (Actually I am sure, I wouldn't be able to stay awake.) They also have a beautifully decorated table with all sort of symbolic decorations. It's beautiful:
And what's a part without food?
The week following Iranian New Year we went to a celebration for Cambodian New Year. The party was awesome and we got to catch up with a friend from my childhood. It was wonderful. Celebrating the new year in spring makes me think that everyone knows something we don't. We celebrate a new beginning in the dead of winter when the 2 most depressing months are still ahead of us. I think that #1 I like celebrating a new year in spring when the world is renewing itself and #2 I like the early morning party.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

AmyCurtis said...

Cool. Looks like lots of fun! You should come by my house next January or February and see how the Chinese celebrate the New Year =)

Good to catch up on your blog!

Halo BW said...

Looks delicious!

http://www.fijimatai.com/kta-bunga-rendah-cek-aja-di-sini/