Friday, August 21, 2009

Roadside Assistance

(This is the beginning of my new commitment to blogging regularly. I'll try hard.) So I'm driving home from another day at work and I see a few cars on the side of the road. I think it's just a normal fender-bender so I just drive by and watch to see what it is in my mirror. As I pass there's a guy lying on the sidewalk and 3 teenage girls standing nearby. I watched for a few more seconds, wondering if I should stop. I decide that it might be a good idea and remember that I bought a first aid kit for my trunk a month ago. I quickly pull over and jump out to get my kit and run over there. My trunk: empty. I cleaned my car a month ago and I guess I didn't put anything back in. Woops. I figure that I can still do some good so I run over there. I ask his name, no real answer, and move on to an orientation question (ie does he know where he is or the day). Just as I get that question out of my mouth 2 Stanford doctors show up on the scene and take over. None of us had gloves and the man was being uncoperative adn I already had blood/dirt all over my pants so we all worked together. The police, fire truck, and ambulance quickly pulled up and completely took over. I was still standing nearby though and helped with some positioning, etc. However, when I went to help move the guy onto the gurney some other ambulance lady showed up out of no where and shooed me away. Something about being in jeans and a T-shirt made me look like just another annoying bystander trying to get in on the action. Moral of the story: doing a good deed doesn't really work out if you don't have the supplies and aren't dressed in proper attire. Until I blog again... (I promise, this is my new try to do a lot better.)

6 comments:

Mark Cabos said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jenny said...

Way to go Cecilie! Thanks for writing it down! I am excited to see all your new posts!

Downtown Browns said...

So do you know what happened to the guy? That accident looked REALLY bad! Good Job on helping. "Good Samaritan Act". I think I would have cried instead of thinking to help!

Chrissy said...

I am sorry your nursing skills went unappreciated on the scene, Cec. You would have been a great asset had the other idiots not foolishly assumed they knew anything about you. That's my two cents :)

Glad you're back at the blog! I, admittedly, choose to keep in touch with those I love through blog-o-rama. Mother included. So even though we haven't talked in ages, I still want to know everything you're doing all the time (of course through the convenience of my own computer... again... this is how I choose to experience everyone's life :) anyway... I miss you, Cec! Keep the posts coming! :)

Cecilie said...

The picture was just from the internet, the accident actually didn't look that bad. I found the situation more comical than anything. I could have pulled out my license but I didn't think it'd do anything the help the situation so I just laughed inside at how some people act. Don't worry though, the first aid kit is now in my car.

Laura Bain said...

Way to go Cecilie! I was relieved when you said that you did in fact pull over and help. And I was imagining a dramatic Baywatch save as the 2 Stanford doctors ran up to the scene. Who needs EMT's anyway when you have good Samaritans in the world? Glad you're alive to tell the story.

I was wondering where the 3 teenage girls were in that picture...